Five Fascinating Facts about Edgar Allan Poe

1. He was the first person to use the term ‘short story’. At least, Poe’s use of the term is the earliest that has yet been uncovered, from 1840 – nearly 40 years earlier than the current OED citation from 1877. This is fitting, given that Poe was a pioneer of the short story form. Poe wrote ‘I have written five-and-twenty short stories whose general character may be so briefly defined’ in his preface to Tales of the Grotesque and Arabesque. This fact was discovered by Martin Greenup – see his ‘Poe and the First Use of the Term “Short Story”‘, Notes and Queries, 60.2 (2013), 251-254.

Poe12. Poe carried on writing even after he’d died. At least, if you believe the rather outlandish claim of Lizzie Doten, the psychic medium whose 1863 book, Poems from the Inner Life, included poems which Doten claimed to have received from the ghost of Edgar Allan Poe. (We must confess to being, er, sceptical here at Interesting Literature…) Perhaps Doten spied a chance to increase the popularity of her own rather mediocre verses by attaching Poe’s name to the project!

3. The American football team the Baltimore Ravens are named in honour of Edgar Allan Poe’s classic poem ‘The Raven’. This is the only example of a sports team being named after a work of literature – at least, to our knowledge. We’d be interested to hear of any others…

4. Poe often wrote with his Siamese cat on his shoulder. Poe would place the cat on his shoulder before he commenced writing a poem.

5. Poe coined the word ‘tintinnabulation’ to describe the sound made by the ringing of bells. This word was invented by Poe in his poem ‘The Bells’, where he writes, ‘Keeping time, time, time, In a sort of Runic rhyme, To the tintinnabulation that so musically wells  From the jingling and the tinkling of the bells.’ You can read the whole poem here.

If you enjoyed this post, check out our previous post on Edgar Allan Poe and some of the things which he correctly predicted.

Image: Cropped image from the famous E.A. Poe daguerreotype, W.S. Hartshorn (1848 daguerreotype),
C.T. Tatman (1904 photo of a c. 1848-1860 photo of daguerreotype missing since 1860) public domain.

About interestingliterature

A blog dedicated to rooting out interesting trivia about classic books and authors. Discover what we've managed to unearth so far at www.interestingliterature.com, where the librarian is busy at work on the next piece of interestingness...

Posted on January 19, 2014, in Literature and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. 71 Comments.

1. kaggsysbookishramblings

Reblogged this on Kaggsy's Bookish Ramblings and commented:
    Another great post from the always fascinating Interesting Literature, this time about Poe!

2. Reblogged this on The Path – J. S. Collyer's Writing Blog and commented:
    We do love a Poeful Sunday

3. Reblogged this on hipsd0ntlie.

4. Quite interesting! Was it true do you know if he was a manic depressive and troubled in life?

• I think it’s always difficult to diagnose writers and artists so long after they lived, but I believe many people hold the view that Poe may have been bipolar. As you can tell, I’m not sure of the facts myself!

5. Reading this was a happy, “Poetic” way start to my morning. Thank you!

6. Reblogged this on Cabinet of Curiosities and commented:
    I love EAP!!

7. Reblogged this on Bumps In The Road Of Life and commented:
    Happy birthday to my favorite author and poet.

8. Poe couldn’t even afford to pay the rent. What a pity!

9. Great article! But I’m not sure about the Siamese cat. I know Catterina, the cat he had in Philadelphia and New York, was a tortoise-shell cat. I’m also not sure we can categorically say he wrote his poetry with the cat. I’ve never seen a primary source which even suggests it, though he certainly seems to like cats.

10. I had never heard of the ‘writing after death’ fact before. I wonder how many symphonies Mozart has possibly finished up till now? Interesting stuff though. I find it hard to write with my cat on my lap – I wish he would sit on my shoulder.

11. Very interesting! And to think, he wrote all those amazing short stories with a cat on his shoulder!

12. Really interesting! Though I’ve always wondered if the football team Arsenal were perhaps named after the Ragged Trousered Philanthropist!!!!!

13. Thank you for adding him to your interesting series of posts, I recently posted Mr. Poe in my own blog, too.

14. Do teams named after works of oral literature such as mythology count? If so, the Tennessee Titans should qualify, the name borrowed from Greek Mythology: Nashville at the time known as the Athens of the South.

15. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Balloon-Hoax

first hoax in the literature and better than Orson Welles

16. Nice post! Coincidentally, I wrote a post about Poe today. It’s on one of his lesser-known short stories, but I personally think it’s one of his best. Cheers!

17. Reblogged this on Jeremy Podolski and commented:
    I don’t usually reblog to Unlikely Storytelling, but my admiration of the work of Edgar Allan Poe trumps convention in this case. I’m sure I’ll contribute an original post about Poe in the future, but in the meantime, enjoy this one about the man who coined the term “short story.”

18. Poe’s ‘The Tell Tale Heart’ is in my opinion the best short story ever written.

19. Reblogged this on The Writing Catalog and commented:
    They are pretty fascinating, and since today is his birthday, it seems like a good time to share them.

20. Thank you for liking my post, Tradition.
    Regarding Poe, it is not such an unusual fact, but the Fugitive Poets considered him their forebear or cousin, to some degree in their advocating for a new voice for Southern literature. I have lived in both Philadelphia and Baltimore. Both lay claim to Poe and both are about equidistant from the Mason Dixon line. My vote is with Baltimore. I wonder, though, if a bit of Poe’s anguish was from that historical “border state” environment — not quite fitting here nor there.
    Best wishes for your continued inspiration for your blog.

• I had no idea about the Fugitive Poets – this is great, and I think you may have a point with the ‘border state’ environment. Especially in the US, this tends to be a feature, and especially among fantasy writers? Something to look into, I think. Thanks!

21. Love Poe’s creation of new words! “The tintinabulation of the bells”. We need to create a new word for the sound of blog posts being reblogged around the blogosphere–the reblog-blog-blog-bloggings of the blogs

22. What is it with writers and animals? Charles Dickens had a Raven that liked to walk round and impersonate drunk people :)

23. I loved this post! Whenever I feature Poe on my tales of terror blog (his short stories), I get lots of views. Poe can still draw people to his work and so many of us love to reread the stories and poems. My favorite poem of his is Spirits of the Dead. Short but so powerful.

• Thanks, Paula! It’s a great idea to feature Poe’s short stories, as so many of them are archetypal tales which helped to influence later genres (science fiction, domestic Gothic, detective fiction). Some of his best are his shortest tales – ‘The Tell-Tale Heart’ is one of my favourites, and that’s only three or four pages. So much in it though!

24. Love that fact about the sports team!

25. Reblogged this on Soul Experience's Blog and commented:
    Interesting tidbits if true and if not, fun to think they are true.

26. When Edgar Allen Poe married his cousin Virginia, he was twenty-seven, and she was thirteen (and consumptive).

At his wife Virginia’s funeral, standing beside her grave, Poe wore the very same gray West Point military jacket which had previously been used as a blanket for Virginia on her deathbed.

Charles Dickens and Edgar Allen Poe were pen pals (if you want to call it that), and they even met once, in Philadelphia, when Poe was about 34-years-old and Dickens was about 31. Dickens, incidentally, had a pet raven named Grip, and in his novel Barnaby Rudge, which Poe had read, there is featured a talking raven.

• Thanks for these! I knew about the sad story with his cousin, but not about the jacket. Very sad.

I think Barnaby Rudge was one of the two chief influences on Poe’s ‘The Raven’, the other being a poem by Elizabeth Barrett Browning titled ‘Lady Geraldine’s Courtship’. I’ve not read that one, though!

• Actually, his wife was perfectly healthy when they married (she was not “consumptive” then). It wasn’t until 6 years into their 11-year marriage that she got sick.

27. Reblogged this on 1WriteWay and commented:
    A few interesting facts about one of my most favorite authors, Edgar Allen Poe. Read on …

28. I had no idea that any sports teams were named after literature. That is my favorite fact in this post. Maybe I will pay more attention to football now…

29. I am in awe! This is my first visit to your blog, but it will not be the last! (I wouldn’t have known of the blog but for your visit (and like, thank you!) to mine! Though your piece and mine were different, I was struck to note your quote (fact #5) of the very same words from The Bells. Such a master he was! I look forward to reading many more posts.

30. I find #1 somewhat surprising. Interesting.

31. Always enjoy reading your posts. Good luck in the Blog awards!

32. I am so glad that someone still talks about him. Poe is my inspiration. Wao, thank you for sharing. I love his writings very much.

33. Only obliquely literary, I know, but rugby union club Harlequins got their name from the Commedia Dell’Arte character, didn’t they; while the amateur Welsh football team from Haverfordwest The Wizards are thus named from nearby Merlin’s Bridge, supposedly from the Geoffrey of Monmouth character (we’ll pass over the fact that Merlin’s Bridge was formerly Magdalene or Maudlin’s Bridge, from a local religious house).

• I think that’s true – another wise commenter suggested that team names derived from Greek myth are in one sense ‘literary’ as well, which I agree with. Didn’t know that about the Wizards – apparently Geoffrey of Monmouth believed that Stonehenge was built by Merlin, so he evidently credited that man with a fair amount of stuff he didn’t deserve the credit for!

34. Reblogged this on Ace History News and commented:
    #AceHistoryNews says ” Great Site and Great Posts” have added you to my follows and reblogged on #History2Research

35. Reblogged this on The imAgine RooM and commented:
    The title says it all. Five Fascinating facts! Did you know that Poe was the first person to use the term ‘Short Story’? And as for ‘tintinnabulation’ … the license of the writer to reinvent the language from some of the best!

36. It´s always amusing reading your facts.
    A cat? Really, that must had been some well trained cat.

37. This was a lot of fun to read! I’m currently in the process of reading every single one of Poe’s works (short stories, Narrative of A. Gordon Pym, all of his poetry, and his essays), so it was cool to see all of the extra little details about him. I never would of guessed Poe would own a Siamese cat…. then again, I think he’d stay far, far away from black ones, haha!

38. He was a genius… Aquileana :)

39. Love this! Also, I’d like to thank you for liking my post “Underneath the Cherry Tree”. I have a little poll going for my own amusement and was wondering if you could tell me what it was you liked about the song? I am just starting to explore your blog but so far it’s pretty interesting. Look forward to seeing more from you and hearing your thoughts on that song….thanks again,….Annabel

40. I would appreciate feedback, if you have the time – this is a great site to a tired old English Teacher such as myself.

41. I’d love to know how Edgar trained his cat to sit on his shoulder instead of on his work.

1. Pingback: Let’s Talk Poe(sy) | Wise Blood